Today is World Otter Day. This is a day we draw attention to the plight of the world’s otters and raise awareness for their conservation needs.
There are 13 species of otter worldwide, and they are all listed in the IUCN Red List and 12 are still declining in number.
Otters are very special animals. They are wonderful to watch, they are indicators of a healthy ecosystem, and at least with the Sea Otter, they shape the very environment they live in.
How you can help:
- Make a donation to the many otter conservation organizations
- Support your local zoo or aquarium and watch the otters there
- Host an otter-themed party of your own
- Buy some lovely otter-themed goods that support otter conservation
- Spread the word about the importance of otters
Together, we can be the driving force that saves the otters from the threats of this world.
Happy World Otter Day!