It’s officially Winter now, and today is National Keep Pets Safe in Winter Day.
For those of us that live in colder climates, Winter can be challenging for our pets. The ASPCA has offered great tips we can use to make sure our beloved animals stay safe and warm:
- Keep anti-freeze stored on high shelves in sealed containers, and quickly clean any spills or leakage.
- Use a pet-friendly (salt-free and chloride-free) ice melter in areas where pets walk.
- Limit outdoor time for pets when temperatures drop below freezing.
- Check warm spots on cars, such as hoods, where animals might seek shelter from the cold, before starting the engine.
- Keep pets on a leash, especially dogs, as they can become disoriented or lost when once-familiar surroundings are covered in ice and snow.
- Wipe paws clean after walking on ice and snow.
- Make sure pets are wearing ID tags and proper outerwear as needed.